San Juan Births Drop Amid COVID-19 Pandemic (Live Births, City of San Juan: 2020)

Reference Number: 

2022-021

Release Date: 

Friday, July 22, 2022

More than 1,000 babies born to mothers residing in the City of San Juan

The number of registered live births born to mothers residing in the City of San Juan reached to 1,519 in 2020. On the average, four (4) babies were born daily.

Over the last 15 years, the number of registered live births from 2006 to 2020 dropped by 36.3 percent. Since 2006, the trends on live birth continuously declines.

Year 2007 recorded the highest number of registered live births with 2,429 while year 2020 registered the lowest count with 1,519.

 

Year 2020 marks the start of COVID-19 pandemic. This phenomenon may have affected the number of live births in the City of San Juan. Consequently, fewer babies were born during the pandemic.

Furthermore, 797 babies (52.5%) were male while 722 (47.5%) were female— resulting to a sex ratio of 110 males for every 100 females.

       

       Highest occurrence of births recorded in October

On the average, 127 live births occurred every month. October recorded the highest birth occurrence with 152 (10.0%), followed by May and September with 145 (9.6%) and 143 (9.4%), respectively.

On the contrary, December recorded the lowest count with 94 (6.2%).

 

 

        Almost all of live births delivered are medically attended

Out of 1,519 live births, 1,508 (99.3%) were medically attended, which may either be by physician, nurse, or midwife. On the other hand, 11 (0.7%) were delivered by traditional birth attendant, also known as hilot, or others. (See Table 4)

In the Philippines, some local government units released ordinances prohibiting traditional birth attendants, or hilot, to deliver babies; babies shall be delivered by professional health practitioners in health facilities only.

 

       About 16 babies are born outside hospital

In 2020, 1,503 (99.0%) babies were born in hospital. The remaining 16 were delivered at home or other places. Other places include vehicle, vessel, or airplane in transit within the Philippine territory (Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Handbook for Health Workers, 2016). (See Table 5)

 

      Average age of a woman giving birth is 28 years old

The age of the mothers ranged from 14 years old as the youngest to 46 years old as the oldest. On the average, a woman can give birth at the age of 28.

Across all age groups, about three (3) out of 10 live births were born to mothers age 25 to 29 years old. This was followed by mothers age 30 to 34 years old with 405 (26.7%).

Meanwhile, six (6) in every 100 live births were born to teenage mothers age 19 years old and below.

 

       One (1) out of 10 live births are of low birthweight

Low birthweight is a condition where the weight of an infant at birth is less than 2.5 kilograms or 2,500 grams. It is associated with fetal and neonatal mortality and morbidity, inhibited growth and cognitive development, and non-communicable diseases (World Health Organization, n.d.)

In the City of San Juan, it was recorded that 153 (10.1%) of babies born are of low birthweight. On the other hand, 1,359 (89.5%) babies weighed about 2,500 grams or more. The remaining accounted to those whose entries of birthweight in the Certificate of Live Birth is blank.

 

 

       Seven (7) out of 10 babies are born out of wedlock

Six hundred forty-nine (649) or 42.7 percent of live births born to mothers residing in the City of San Juan were legitimate. Under Article 225 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, children conceived or born during the marriage of parents are legitimate.

On the other hand, 870 (57.3%) babies were born out of wedlock. (See Table 6)

 

       Majority of births are timely registered

More than 1,000 (81.2%) live births were timely registered. According to Commonwealth Act No. 3753, Certification of Live Births shall be registered not later than 30 days after the birth. Beyond the reglementary period shall be considered late.

In 2020, not more than 300 live births (18.8%) were registered late. (See Table 7)

 

Tags: 

Attachments: