2012 Census of Philippine Business and Industry
The 2012 Census of Philippine Business and Industry (CPBI) is the forerunner of the 2006 CPBI and one of the designated statistical activities of the former National Statistics Office (NSO) now Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). Data collected from the census provides information on the levels, structure, performance and trends of economic activities of the formal sector of the economy for the reference period 2012. It also serves as benchmark information in the measurement and comparison of national and regional economic growth.
To provide establishment respondents ease in accomplishing the 2012 CPBI questionnaires, the income and expense account in the Financial Statement of establishment was adopted in the design of 2012 CPBI sectoral questionnaires. Income and revenue have the same concept in recording financial transaction of establishments while expense is cost incurred on a consumed basis.
Data collection was intensified through the use of web-based or online accomplishment of questionnaire through the NSO (now part of PSA) website and downloading of e-questionnaire and submission thru email.
Scope and coverage
The 2012 CPBI was a nationwide undertaking confined to the formal sector of the economy and as such excluded the informal sector. The following comprise the formal sector:
- Corporations and partnerships
- Cooperatives and foundations
- Single establishment with employment of 10 or more
- Single proprietorship with branches
Hence, the 2012 CPBI covered only the following economic units:
- All establishments with total employment (TE) of 10 or more, and;
- All establishments with TE of less than 10, except those establishments with Legal Organization= 1 (single proprietorship) and Economic Organization = 1 (single establishment), that are engaged in economic activities classified according to the 2009 Philippine Standard Industrial Classification (PSIC).
The initial count of the 2012 List of Establishments (LE), the frame used to draw the sample establishments for the 2012 CPBI, registered a total of 945,000 establishments in operation nationwide in 2012. Out of this number, 72 percent or 680,400 establishments belong to the informal sector and only 28 percent or 262,800 establishments made up the formal sector.
- Water Supply, Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities
- Wholesale and Retail Trade; Repair of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles
- Transportation and Storage
- Accommodation and Food Service Activities
- Information and Communication
- Financial and Insurance Activities
- Real Estate Activities
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
- Administrative and Support Service Activities
- Private Education
- Human Health and Social Work Activities
- Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
- Other Service Activities